LOS ANGELES: Manny Pacquiao will return to the ring later this year to fight World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Jessie Vargas, the Filipino boxing star’s manager said on Wednesday.
“Retirement doesn’t suit Manny right now,” Michael Koncz told the Los Angeles Times. “It is amazing what training and fighting does for him.”
After Pacquiao defeated Timothy Bradley on April 9, he announced he was retiring from the sport to devote more time to his political career. He was elected to the Philippine Senate in May.
He announced several weeks ago that he would fight again. The record eight-division world champion’s next fight will be on November 5, his promoter Bob Arum said.
Arum is looking at holding the fight in Las Vegas or Dubai. He tweeted last week that he was talking to a group from the Middle East that wants to host Pacquiao (58-6-2).
American Vargas (27-1-0) said Friday he is in talks with Pacquiao’s camp to hold a fight on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center arena in Las Vegas.
Koncz told the Times that he would travel with Arum to Philippines next week to meet with Pacquiao and pick a site.
“That’s the essence of the meeting,” Koncz said. “Not choosing an opponent. That’s already done.”