PARIS, AFP: Germany's Angelique Kerber ousted Serena Williams from top spot in the WTA rankings on Monday despite her fourth-round exit from Indian Wells.
Kerber, 29, the top-ranked player in the India Wells draw, returned to number one in the world despite the defeat because Williams missed the event through injury.
Elena Vesnina, 30, of Russia, who eliminated Kerber in the fourth round, moved up to 13th in the rankings, her best ever placing.
Latest top 10 WTA rankings
1. Angelique Kerber (GER) 7,515 pts
2. Serena Williams (USA) 7,130
3. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 5,640
4. Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 5,160
5. Simona Halep (ROM) 5,022
6. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 4,790
7. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 4,555
8. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 4,345
9. Madison Keys (USA) 4,007
10. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 3,850